English for pilots - ICAO Language Proficiency
Since 5.3.2008, pilots of airplanes, airships, helicopters and aircrafts with powered lift, air traffic controllers and aeronautical station operators must demonstrate the ability of expressing and understanding in the language used in radio communication at the level specified in the requirements for language skills, which are listed in Appendix 1
This is not required for Czech or Slovak speaking pilots, who fly only in the Czech Republic or Slovakia.
For an ICAO Language Proficiency exam, you dont have to absolve any course. Preparation can be completely individual. The goal of the exam is to check your ability of communication in english langauge.
An ICAO English Proficiency exams
12.8. 2013, 17:00
Classrom of flying school Fly For Fun, airport Sazená.
The date will be confirmed to those taking the exam.
The results of successful exam have different levels with specific time of validity till next re-examination:
- level 4 - re-examination after 4 years
- level 5 - re-examination after 6 years
- level 6 (native speaker) - no further re-examination
The exam is in english langauge and the process is as follows:
- In the first phase the competent examiners examine the pilot's ability to express himself in English, responding to questions and use of common language. This is basically a conversation in which the applicant has to demonstrate his ability to communicate.
- In the second phase the applicant has the task of listening to a recorded situation on board of an aircraft and its communication with ACT. The task is to descripe what happened and how the participants responded. He must also demonstrate the ability to capture and interpret the ATIS message (i.e. Ruzyně or Brno). Another challenge is a description of an aircraft and its parts.
- The third and last phase is the final analysis of the exam, its evaluation and the results.
- The exam has about 25-30 minutes.
- Audiovisual recording is needed to be taken from the exam. This record is not used, only for possible control.
- The exam takes place with minimum of 2 students.
- Price of the exam: 2.200 CZK + 21% VAT(DPH)
How to order ICAO?
ICAO exams can be reserved using a form
or by phone on number: